MLK Jr. Day is often regarded as a day off when kids are barely back at school, but it doesn’t have to be just that. Should you want to take this day off as a teaching in a fun way opportunity, there are plenty of ways or ideas to do that:
1. Check out a book about MLK at your local library
2. Help out: Numerous volunteer opportunities for the King Jr. Day of Service are being coordinated through Orange County United Way and OneOC.
3. Hike and reflect: Climb Little Sycamore trail in Laguna Coast Wilderness Park on a self-guided hike featuring 14 uplifting quotations from King posted along the way.
4.Walk in peace: Reclaim the Dream peace march and prayer vigil in Anaheim will start at 4 p.m. with sign and art making at United Universalist Church Anaheim, 511 S. Harbor Blvd.
The main event around is the Annual MLK Jr Parade: Peace & Unity Parade And Celebration
- When: January 13th 2018 from 12-6pm
- Where: Martin Luther King, Jr. Park 1950 Lemon Ave. Long Beach, CA 90806
Long Beach begins its 29th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Peace & Unity Parade and Celebration at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, stepping off at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue and Anaheim Street. Multicultural celebration at Martin Luther King Jr. Park, 1950 Lemon St., begins at noon. Free parking at Long Beach City College, with shuttle buses to the parade route 8-10 a.m. This is a free Event, there's a main Stage with live entertainment, Health Pavilion, arts & crafts, vendor booths and more.
Do you know of any other events happening near you for MLK day that you want to share? Feel free to post in the comments area.