San Clemente will celebrate the "San Clemente Day" this February 28th! The day will commemorate the incorporation of Orange County’s southernmost beach town as a municipality on Feb. 28, 1928.
- When: 02/24/2018 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
- Where: Pier, Beach Club, and Historical Sites
Downtown history tours via trolley, a children’s fishing derby on the pier, historic lifeguard exhibits at Marine Safety Headquarters, synchronized swimming demos at the Ole Hanson Beach Club, a Roaring ’20s costume contest, food and birthday cake will highlight a Feb. 24 daylong celebration of San Clemente’s 90th anniversary of incorporation.
Land developer Ole Hanson founded San Clemente as a beach town he called “the Spanish Village” in 1925. Three years later, on Feb. 28, 1928, the town incorporated as a city. The City Council has declared the last Saturday of February each year to be “San Clemente Day” in commemoration.
To celebrate the local government turning 90, here’s a lineup of Feb. 24 events:
- Fishing derby: Free, at 8 a.m., will be run by the Fish for Life nonprofit in partnership with the city and Pier Grill, at the end of the pier, open to ages 6 to 15 years. Open to the first 90 who sign up in advance.
- Trolley tours: Two trolleys will operate, with tour guides narrating colorful stories along a route between the Ole Hanson Beach Club and the pier, with historic sites depicted on a San Clemente Day map created by local artist Ruth Yuhas. Trolleys running from noon to 4 p.m. and riders can board at either the Ole Hanson Beach Club or the pier.
- Pool festivities: From noon to 3 p.m., the Ole Hanson Beach Club will offer free recreational swimming and pool deck games together with demos of synchronized swimming, a historical society exhibit, music, a $25 chicken lunch featuring Ole and Nellie Hanson impersonators, a costume contest, a food truck and a horse derby on the grass.
- Birthday cake: At 3 p.m., Ole Hanson Beach Club, the city offers free cake and ice cream at an ice cream social, the ice cream sponsored by Baskin-Robbins. Attendees invited to stay and watch the sunset.
- For lunch tickets, fishing derby reservations or details call the recreation staff at 949-429-8797.
On Feb. 28, the actual date of incorporation, the Municipal Golf Course will offer San Clemente residents a $3 green fee, 90 percent off normal. Call the course at 949-361-8384 for a reservation.
Information gather from OCRegister's article on February 7, 2018 by Fred Swegles.