Richard Nixon’s former La Casa Pacifica estate in San Clemente, California, is back on the market for $63.5 million.
The bluff side compound with 450 feet of sandy beach—where photographers often snapped the ex-president taking walks with his wife and dogs—has been on and off the market since 2015, when it was first listed for $75 million. Since then, it’s gotten a discount of around 15%, according to listing records.
The 5.5-acre compound has multiple buildings, seaside gardens and a putting green.
During the president’s tenure, the home became known as the Western White House, as it served as both a personal and occasional diplomatic retreat. Nixon, who reopened dialogue with the Soviet Union, hosted Russian leader Leonid Brezhnev there in 1973.
Fundraising events at the San Clemente home attracted figures like Ronald Reagan and Frank Sinatra, according to archives on Getty Images.
The seller, former Allergan Pharmaceuticals Chief Executive Gavin S. Herbert, bought the home from the Nixons in the 1980s—several years after he resigned from office in disgrace amid the Watergate scandal—according to The Los Angeles Times, which first reported the relisting. Nixon died in 1994.
The walled estate encompasses several Spanish revival-style buildings, including a recently updated, single-story main mansion, which dates to 1927, according to the listing with Robert Geim of Compass. He was not immediately available for comment.
There’s also a 3,000-square-foot entertainment pavilion, a two-bedroom building house and staff accommodations.
Today, La Casa Pacifica is only a fraction of the 26-acre estate Nixon bought from Hamilton H. Cotton, one of the founders of Monterey, in the 1969, Mansion Global previously reported.
Down the road from La Casa Pacifica, another slice of Nixon’s former property—located along a coveted surfing area—is also on the market for $44 million.